Friday 28 June 2013

Photographs of My Mother



See now.
There are things
Easily understood
And some
That are
Beyond
Comprehension,
Human or otherwise.
Photographs
Of my mother
Fall into the
Former category.
My reaction
To them
Falls into the
Latter.
Is there a word
In any language
That combines
Pride, Bittersweet
Melancholy, Helpless Love
And a longing
Forever unfulfilled?
If there is,
Tell me
For I need
Words
To describe
How I feel
About
Photographs
Of my mother.
They catch
In her eyes
Serenity and Wildness
Together
A siren song
That isn't
My inheritance.
A pull, A magic
That alas!
Isn't mine
To inherit.
There is only
A Kindness
That was
Passed on
To me.
Perchance
It will be
Enough
But youth
Is greedy
For aesthetics
And so
I haven't
Words
To describe
My feelings
And my bleeding, torn
Adoring
Heart
That so loves
Photographs
Of my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment